Small recreational fires (3'x3') are permitted without a permit providing safety regulations are followed. You may burn only untreated cut wood (like wood used for in an indoor fireplace). These fire must be attended and farther then 15' from a structure if in an approved container or fire ring. see: Outdoor Fireplaces and Fire Pits
Any other outdoor fires, including leaves, brush, tree trimmings and construction debris are regulated by the Ohio EPA as "open burning".
With a few exceptions, open burning is not permitted in restricted areas. These areas include:
- within the boundaries of any municipal corporation.
- within corporation limits and a 1,000-foot zone outside any municipal corporation having a population of 1,000 to 10,000.
- within corporation limits and a one-mile zone outside any municipal corporation with a population of more then 10,000.
Many areas within Bainbridge Township are in this restricted area.
In order to open burn, you must obtain written permission from the Lake County General Health District. Afterwards, a Burning Permit from the Bainbridge Twp. Fire Dept. must also be obtained prior to any burning.
Items that can never be burned:
- materials containing rubber, grease, asphalt, and roofing shingles, or made from petroleum, such as tires, cars and auto parts, plastics, or plastic-coated wire.
- garbage -any wastes created in the process of handling, preparing, cooking, or consumption of food.
- dead animals
The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency has information here.
You can obtain more information from the Lake County General Health District here.
To obtain a Residential Application for Permission to Conduct Open Burning from the Lake General Health District here.
After you receive permission from the Lake County General Health District, the Bainbridge Twp. Fire Dept. can review and issue a Burning Permit.
Even with this Burning Permit, you may be required to extinguish the fire if the smoke becomes a nuisance to neighbors.
Contact Fire Preventions with any further questions. 440-543-9354